Saturday, February 7, 2009

How now brown cow?

We've been thinking lately "what in the world could we get next that would give us a little more food, cause us a little more stress, make a little more work (and even some sadness) to liven up our lives because it is just so boring over here?" The answer was, of course - a cow. (Just kidding, but not about the cow).

Since we decided that we wanted to get a cow we have had so many people tell us all the negative things about having a milk cow, but we are still undaunted. Some of us actually went a couple weeks ago to pick her out and she will be coming very soon. Here are pictures of her...

She is the middle one

Isn't she so CUTE! Look at those eyes!

Now for a little background as to what and why.
* We are getting a Jersey cow, as they are the cutest milk cows.
* They have the highest butterfat and protein content in their milk - 6% for butterfat, 4% for protein (according to Wikipedia). That means more cream (and more ice cream!!!). Any cream would be more cream than what we are getting right now. Goats milk, although very wonderful, is naturally homogenized, which means that we don't get any cream (unless we want to buy a cream separator and... we don't).
* They give about 6 gallons of milk a day. A lot more than what we are getting now (only about 2, if that).
* They are a smaller cow (ranging from 800 to 1200 pounds) which means they eat less and so are a better family cow.
* And they are a very docile, friendly cow. And so you see that everything about the cow is just about perfect.

But we are having trouble with the name. Here are the votes...
* Abigail (Abby)
* Clover
* Betsy
* Daisy
* Gertrude
* Elizabeth (Lizzy)

What would you pick?

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the cow! I don't know much about Jerseys but from what I can see of her you made a good choice (she has a very nice looking head) I vote for Abigail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you guys are getting a cow! They are very cool. I think that Lizzy, Abby or Daisy would be the cutest names!

    ~Beth~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abigail sounds cute! When is she coming? I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to see her!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute COW and lots of great reasons to get her. Derek votes for Abigail but doesn't like the nick name Abby. I say you should name her "New" so her full name would be "New Jersey". I think it's a great state, don't you? Well, maybe not... okay, you could name her Nina Bell after my grandma in Georgia. Derek has a Webkinz cow named Nina Bell. I like Daisy Bell too - of course Daisy was Sid's grandma in Newton so that's a good name too.

    ReplyDelete